Collectively, we can help young children succeed in school, which can lead to increased graduation rates, improved public safety, and a stronger local economy.
If we take action now, we can significantly improve the situation:
- Investing in early childhood development yields a significant payoff ($7-$8 returned for each $1 invested)
- Expanding quality educational child care and pre-kindergarten programs is the most effective strategy for reducing youth violence and crime.
- Early language skills are an excellent predictor of reading ability by third grade. Parents want to know how to foster early language skills in their children.
- If children read at grade level by the 3rd grade, they are more likely to graduate from high school.
- Children who graduate from high school are more likely to go on to higher education and/or enter the job market as tax-paying citizens.
- Employable, tax-paying citizens are critical to a vital economy.